About Me

My photo
Welcome to my world. I'm Tricia Gloria Nabaye, on a mission to advocate for gender equality, human rights, and democratic governance through the lens of feminist intersectional practices. With nine years of experience, I've honed my skills to be a force for positive change. My strengths lie in problem-solving and effective cross-cultural collaboration, and I thrive in leadership roles. My analytical perspective ensures that my advocacy is data-driven and impactful. My primary focus is on feminist leadership consulting, where I provide valuable insight and guidance. I also offer rapporteur services, ensuring that essential discussions are documented and shared. As a feminist researcher, my deep commitment lies in addressing gender issues, empowering women and girls, and advancing public policy advocacy. I'm a visionary dedicated to shaping the future of advocacy with a strong focus on human rights. Join me in our journey to drive positive change. Together, we can build a world where gender equality and human rights are at the forefront, ensuring a more inclusive and just society for all.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

ON CONVERSATIONS WITH STRANGERS

So I listened intently,Quietly as the conversation went into a new wave..something that I find interest in, Marriage. In his tale of 20 years of marriage these were the words of a grown husband, father and grand father to a rather unset fair lady,who in my opinion needed this wisdom as much I did.And then as he spoke, I listened more intently than my neighbor with a need to hear of his great lessons on life and beyond.
This is how the conversation went on:

Married man: Good evening my daughter
Fair lady neighbor: Good evening sir
And the conversation that set in from that point led them to this rather life changing one.
Married man: You see, my daughter,times have changed...what we valued before has no regard  in your times..I admit, some of the reasons are that we didn't offer an all round job in raising this generation well but also part of it is in the choices you make as children of this generation.Outside those two reasons,only God can tell.
Fair lady neighbor: You mean all the other chaos doesn't count? Like poverty, bad leadership..
Married man: You see, my daughter if you look closely they already exist in the two I have said. I have been married for 20 years and I still find the lessons I learnt as a young man valid for use even today.I chose to have one wife even when two or three could have been permitted in our time. I am a happy man simply because I am a good husband.
Why I talk about marriage now is because all and everything society is to become comes from this union,societies are built by the great bond of two people willing to nurture and raise a Nation, those two become 5 then 10 and then 1000 of people willing to raise generations.
Fair lady neighbor: I understand, but then that means families have failed to provide generations that are worthwhile. Especially husbands...many men today are crooks and lazy...they want everyone to wait on them.
Married man:(with a rather patient smile on his face) You know, I have had this conversation with one of my daughters before she got married and she sounded a lot like you. But lets break this down before we reach society.
Marriage was and is one of the defining moments in one's life, girls dream of the dress they will wear and men of the bride they will take. Everything else falls with in our many dreams for marriage. We all start out with good intentions, be it raising children or getting married or even starting a  relationship...for every sane person,there was an intention that was pure and promising.So things only fall apart along the way, not before they happened.
The wonder has been in the air of the many orphaned children, single mothers, single fathers, trending sexuality questions, teenage pregnancies but all this has only but suffered a change in morality and values. Values have been redefined to suit the trend and morals have been long washed from the need to be used. So you see my daughter, as you cry for the loss of valor in men, they too cry for the loss of virtue in women. It is everyone and anyone but we ought to be objective that society still has men and women who have a belt of value and virtue still tied around their hearts. You seem a nice person, I choose to believe you are, I pray you meet a man better than me.(In my head I had made this man an angel yet he claimed he was not any good) I saw the confusion on my neighbor's face, she must have been thinking the same.
Married man then extended his head forward and smiled at me and he went on with his words of wisdom, it was then that I realised the whole taxi was silent listening intently to this bundle of knowledge give a few highlights on what life is.

Married man: So dear, as you find your way through life, you do what is right and the right things will come your way. To be sure it is going to be hard, there will be seasons of dryness and seasons of plenty... enjoy both. I don't know if you are in a relationship, but that principle applies to both single and married life. Everyone should get a chance to find a forever partner...I did and am still smiling to this day. Pray for whoever you will end up with, because I know, we might not redeem the whole generation but today I am sure I have redeem one person for a start...so I am confident that you will raise children with great morals and values so that they too can raise others with morals and values.The cycle should go on,we must find a way of making the cycle move on. But you have to put such a cycle in a union like marriage. Until then, prepare yourself avidly for the task ahead.
Married man: Think about it my daughter...(He paid his transport fare and a few minutes later, married man  got off his stop and went)
I know that conversation was for whoever was on that taxi but I choose to own this conversation because this man taught me a truth to life, that has brought new purpose to me.

Write to me

Name

Email *

Message *